Friday Field Notes: Lipstick, Vampires, Mike Tyson and Canned Curry
Hello Friday! In case the week of June 16th is already a distant memory, here’s what happened on the beauty, anti-aging and fun front:
In the land of beauty…
- Are you a victim of the Lipstick Effect? I haven’t dug into the full 17 page analysis yet, but the headlines suggest we wear make-up to amp it up for wealthy men as a way of survival during times of economic downturn. No, this paper wasn’t from olden times it was published just last month. For reals.
- So is it any surprise 11% of women over 50 have an eating disorder? This news broke last week, but more statistics have come out. This isn’t surprising, did you see the bullet above? Pass the wine, hold the pasta.
- And now we learn spray tans can cause cancer too? Seems the active ingredient, DHA might be the cause. Looks like I’ll doomed to be the color of larvae forever (and clearly will not have enough beauty to survive the Great Recession).
- To top it all off, the world’s healthiest meal doesn’t even include dark chocolate. Just a lot of puréed anti-oxidants like salmon and lentils.
- At least there’s the Vampire Facelift. Yes mam, the claim is that your own blood is the best filler in the world. That and you get to indulge in a little Twilight fan moment of your very own. I want to be grossed out, but when you break down the science, it actually may be superior. To be continued….
Ok the, lets escape to the land of the famous and fabulous….
- Kim Kardashian is officially named worst role model of Western Civilization in this analysis from The Daily Mail’s Claudia Connell, a woman after my own heart. To be official, it was actually Dr. Helen Wright at who declared the war on Kim. I thank the media for finally helping me figure this one out, because I was about to campaign for her to get a Nobel Peace Prize .
- Canned Curry. As in Ann Curry is getting fired from the Today Show. Apparently she wasn’t pulling the ratings as co-anchor, which is a real bummer after 15 years being the antidote to Matt’s sterile coldness and Katie Couric’s cloying cheeriness (I stopped watching during the Meredith Viera years). I always liked her. We were in line together at Fairway once and I’ll never forget how kind she was to this starstruck little old lady who couldn’t believe she was “in line with Ann Curry”. Ann, I hope you land well, you deserve better.
- Angelina Jolie to direct “50 Shades of Grey”?. Did you see her Gia? That woman is sex nuts, I would totally pay to see what she would do with this material. But ick, what do you do about that script? Never mind…
- “Bitch what ‘ya doing” says Anderson Cooper to airline passenger. I love when people break out of their comfort zone, so I am thrilled Anderson Cooper let his freak flag fly inspired by Johnny Weir seated next to him on a NYC to LAX flight.
- Mike Tyson wants a Tony award and a Pulitzer (kind of). See him on Conan. Lover of life, lover of women. Thank you God for making Mike so I can feel better about myself.
And back to reality…I can’t wait to see Brave this weekend. It’s gotten good reviews, I can take my son (he doesn’t know its chick flick) and finally hope Hollywood gets the whole modern fairy tale heroine thing right. Besides, what a great word, “brave”.
Have a great weekend.
- In Order to Save Ann Curry, First We Must Destroy Ann Curry (jezebel.com)
- Ann Curry: ‘Am I Not Good Enough?’ (huffingtonpost.com)
- Do You Buy Into the Lipstick Theory? (bellasugar.com)
- “Angelina Jolie has reportedly expressed desire to direct, while ‘American Psycho’ author Bret Easton Ellis began lobbying to write the screenplay…” (althouse.blogspot.com)